Daytona Beach is known for its nightlife, vibrant personality, and of course the beach. It's also a fabulous destination for students on graduation celebration vacations or educational field trips! No matter your style, you'll find something to enjoy in Daytona Beach where the weather's warm, the beach relaxing, and the attractions thrilling.
Let's start with the educational side of Daytona Beach, shall we? The city has plenty to offer in the way of art, culture, and history with a little natural science thrown in for good measure. If you're looking for an educational field trip, perhaps start with:
- Museum of Arts and Sciences - Here you'll encounter arts from around the world including sculpture, Asian and Pacific inspired wood block prints, and exhibitions on famous and up and coming artists. MOAS also maintains a planetarium and children's museum on site with science exhibits on the laws of physics, a doctor's duties, build tables with hands on activities, and so much more.
- Mary McLeod Bethune House - Acting as home to Mary McLeod Bethune from the 1920s until her death, the house in Daytona is now a historic landmark holding a displayed archive of Bethune's historic papers and correspondence. Bethune is best remembered as a teacher of African American children, establishing her own Daytona Beach school in 1904. After much success, the Bethune-Cookman Institute (now College) was established and remains to this day an excellent school. Visit her home and gravesite to learn more about this fabulous woman and her contributions to society and history.
- Halifax Historical Museum - Founded in 1949 with a mission to preserve and protect the history of the Halifax River region, this wonderful historical museum is the perfect place to bring an educational student group. Situated inside the historic former Merchant's Bank Building, the Halifax Historical Museum has a number of permanent exhibits following topics such as Jackie Robinson, Victorian houses, the Civil War in Florida, and so much more.
- Bulow Plantation Ruins State Historic Site - Located on beautiful Bulow Creek State Park, the historic 1821 sugar plantation was destroyed during the Second Seminole War in 1836. Today, the plantation is just a foundation of ruins, stone columns and wall structures alongside sugar mills and a modern open-air museum. The park is open daily from 8 am to 5 pm and welcomes people to visit, learn about the war that destroyed the home, discover the history of the plantation, and maybe explore some of the beautiful nature trails.
Even though you could devote your entire trip to the educational attractions of Daytona Beach, you might find yourselves itching to do something more traditionally fun. Relax, enjoy yourselves on vacation, and have a blast with your student group of fellow graduates, friends, and family in one of Florida's most exciting cities! You might enjoy:
- Daytona Beach - You probably shouldn't come to Daytona Beach and not visit the beach, that would be weird, right? At the "Original American Beach," you have 23 miles of sand on which to stretch your legs and enjoy the sun and surf. You can bring your own or rent surf chairs and umbrellas to further relax, though most people take to the water, play volleyball in the sand, and more. There are also plenty of attractions nearby to keep you busy plus live music events all throughout the year!
- Daytona International Speedway - NASCAR fans will delight in a visit to the Daytona International Speedway, the racetrack which hosts the Daytona 500 every year. If you're able to catch a race, it's one of the most thrilling experiences though you can also enjoy the speedway through the visitor center. There you can sign up for the Richard Petty Driving Experience and take a loop around the track yourself or with a driver, learn about the track and history of the sport, and much more!
- Ocean Walk Shoppes - The ultimate shopping and entertainment destination in the city, Ocean Walk Shoppes feature plenty of shops, restaurants, and a movie theater complex. It's the perfect destination to end out a day of beach relaxation with family friendly fun. Stop by Bubba Gump Shrimp Company for some delicious food, grab ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery, and hit up the movie theater for a big screen delight!
- Daytona Lagoon - A delightful waterpark full of thrilling rides plus go-karts, mini golf, an arcade, and laser tag, Daytona Lagoon is practically the definition of fun. This amazing family entertainment center is great for groups of all ages. Relax and kick back for a fun, sunny afternoon and splash around in the Treasure Lagoon, hop on board the Kraken's Conquest, or slide down Poseidon's Pass. Then, head over to the rock wall, singles or doubles go-karts, or the laser tag arena for added fun!
Daytona Beach is whatever you want it to be: exciting or educational, but it's always fun. Check out more Florida destinations here and see how you can plan the ultimate student trip with AST!